The brewery Huyghe in Melle has been around since 1654. In 1902 Leon Huyghe settled in Melle. In 1906, Huyghe purchased the brewery, which he originally named "Brouwerij-Mouterij den Appel". The ocnstruction of a new brewery began in 1936 and would be the existing brewery of today. In 1938, the name Den Appel was replaced by brewery Leon Huyghe Ltd. In 1964, the brewery added modern bottling technology that allowed for a great expansion of their products. On December 26th, 1989, the famous "Delirium Tremens" was introduced to the world. Another award winning beer "La Guillotine" was also created to celebrate the bicentennial of the French Revolution. In 1992, the fanous pink elephant logo was created to promote the Delirium Tremens products in the town of Melle. The brewery today has taken over many other Belgian beers and has a strong reputation in both Belgium and internationally (www.delirium.be, 2011).
According to WBC:
Huyghe Brewery produces some award winning products and has many of its beers recognized by beer enthusiasts throughout the world. In Brussels there is a bar devoted to Delirium Tremens that has over 2600 beers on their menu, right near "Jeanneke Pis".
Did you know?:
In 2005, the brewery celebrated its 350th anniversary, the centennial of the family brewery and the 15 years of existance of its showpiece beer "Delirium Tremens" (www.delirium.be, 2011).